Sunday, August 4, 2013

On the easel



It's been a long while since I've tackled larger pieces (I've been on an 8" x 10" and 6" x 6" kick lately) but after my second large painting (this one is 30" x 40") I'm finding that it was probably time to get to back to painting larger again. It certainly uses different parts of my brain. I think I've gotten bogged down in details and tiny brushes and tentative strokes. Today, I finally got into a groove with some big brushes, giant strokes, mashing and smooshing and muddling around of paint. Perspective changes, you have to step way back to take in what you've done...these are all things I needed to do artistically. Probably things that are good to do in other areas of life also. Look at the big picture, step back and widen the focus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment